The greatest achievement of the human spirit is to live up to one’s opportunities and make the most of one’s resources.
~ Marquis de Vauvenargues
Wherever your most desired destination may be, one thing is for sure – if you don’t get on the road, you will never arrive. Once you decide to embark on the less traveled path of pursuing your personal goals, it it important that you set achievable milestones in order to successfully enter the narrow gate of your desired destination. It may feel like a long journey, but with perseverance and dedication to fulfilling your potential, you will arrive…
When you have achieved that goal you have steadily been working toward, ensure you take the time to congratulate yourself and enjoy the satisfaction of having achieved what you set out to do. Absorb the implications of the achievement, and observe the progress that you’ve made towards other goals. At the very least, achieving your milestones will fuel your motivation to propel you toward your next goal – ultimately guiding you to where you want to be. Achieving even small goals (milestones) along the way will give you the self-confidence to pursue new and exciting destinations.
Whether the goal was small or large, STOP and take a little time to enjoy the moment and reward yourself appropriately. Recognize your success for what it is…SUCCESS!
Now, with the positive experience of having achieved a goal, and taking the time to properly acknowledge your accomplishment, review the journey to date and determine:
- Was the goal too easily attained? If so, make sure your remaining goals (or your next goals) stretch your capacity so that you continue to grow and arrive at new and exciting destinations.
- Did the goal take a daunting length of time to achieve? Ensure your next goals are a little more time-bound, and check the distance between your milestones.
- Did you learn something from your journey? If so, leverage your learning and use it to facilitate the journey toward future destinations.
- Did you perceive a deficit in your skills, despite achieving the goal? Think about incorporating some of the more challenging aspects of the journey onto future roadmaps in order to allow you to hone that particular skill for future journeys.
- Have you derived as much pleasure from the journey as you have in arriving at the destination? I hope so – life is all about the journey after all…
Now that you have arrived at your desired destination, it is time for you to reset your navigation system and set that next big, audacious goal that will take you on yet another exciting journey toward the fulfillment of all of your most “desired destinations”…
Where will you go next?
I hope this series has provided some useful guidelines toward helping you to manage your journey toward your ultimate destination. Please engage the discussion and let us know how you will travel toward your next personal goal. Always feel free to contact me atSheri.Mackey@LuminosityGlobal.com or by visiting our website at www.LuminosityGlobal.com. Check back next week for the next installment of Leadership Across Boundaries and Borders.