Are you one of those 100’s of thousand’s of “leaders” out there who are merely meeting your established goals and collecting a paycheck? Isn’t there more to life? Shouldn’t you be seeking to maximize your own potential, walk in your own greatness, and WIN at the great game of business? It seems to me that there are actually many parities between great leadership and coaching the best professional athletes…
How would you feel knowing YOU make the impossible possible? Can you imagine the difference YOU could make if you were the best leader you could possibly be? What would it feel like to wake up every day energized by the idea of the amazing things YOU are achieving at work… and in life? To have a plan to overcome your biggest obstacles to create and deploy championship-defining strategies? To create your legacy as a game changer instead of just a game player? To know every day that YOU, yes YOU, are making a real and significant difference!
Well, here are some realities of what it takes to WIN as an exceptional leader, much the same as coaching a world-renowned sports team:
- You have to want it more – never let up or give up: Lead your team with passion and confidence.
- You can only become an exceptional leader in the process of producing exceptional results.
- Know that what you say is possible…IS possible. Conviction, my friend…
- Realize that before you can transform your organization, you must first transform yourself – and commit to doing so. Never ask others to do what you are not willing to do yourself!
- Remember that the stand you take is who you are – define your identity from your commitment to changing the game, not your history (what got you here will not get you where you want to be).
- Leverage a wise and knowledgeable mentor – identify and engage a real game-changer – commit yourself to continual learning through observation, emulation, and conversation.
- Recognize and appreciate that the journey is of far more importance and value than the destination will ever be.
- Leverage creative collaboration – ensure you have A Team players for all positions and lead by example into the toughest of matches.
- Always exhibit good sportsmanship – your fan club as well as your opponents are always watching.
- Practice 360 degree leadership – know what others perceive as your strengths and weaknesses & keep your playbook flexible.
- Know that competition is good – it pushes potential to new heights when leveraged for home court advantage.
While this may seem a daunting list, it is achievable. It will require hard work, a strong and unwavering commitment, and a monumental belief in yourself, but YOU CAN become an exceptional leader! How you move forward into your impossible future is up to you, but if you truly want to win, I would strongly recommend one action item above all else – Partner with an exceptional Executive Coach that will help you to define your impossible future, hold you accountable to it, and stand in your greatness (even when you can’t).
Everyone wants to WIN, but few have the where-with-all to pursue WINNING with everything they have… and even fewer have the insight to understand that they cannot do it alone.
What are you doing to ensure you are consistently WINNING?