Without clear ground rules, conversations can turn negative and discourage others from entering into the fray. For this reason, I have provided a comments policy that seeks to facilitate respectful interactions.
By posting on my blog, you agree to the following:
- You may comment without registering. You can log-in to comment or not – your choice.
- You may post anonymously. I don’t recommend this, but you may do so if you wish. I reserve the right to change this guideline if it is abused.
- You may post follow-up questions. If you have a question, chances are you are not alone. Others are likely thinking along the same lines. Because of this, I prefer to receive your comments on my blog rather than via email. It is a better use of my time to address everyone at once rather than answer individuals emails pertaining to similar questions.
- You may disagree with me. I welcome and encourage debate. However, I ask that if you disagree with me—or anyone else, for that matter— please be respectful. If you can not conduct yourself appropriately, expect to be deleted, as follows.
- I reserve the right to delete your comments. This is my blog. I don’t have an obligation to publish your comments. The First Amendment gives you the right to express your opinions on your blog, but not on mine. Specifically, I will delete your comments if you post something that is, in my opinion, (a) snarky; (b) off-topic; (c) libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or which otherwise violates or encourages others to violate my sense of decorum and civility or any law, including intellectual property laws; or (d) “spam,” i.e., an attempt to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services. You may, however, post a link to your site or your most recent blog post.
- You retain ownership of your comments. I do not own them and I expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. By commenting on my blog, you agree that you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will relieve me from any and all liability that may result from those postings.
- You grant me a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free. You grant me the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to a blog, in a book, a video, or presentation.
In short, my goal is to provide useful information and host interesting conversations with honest and respectful people. I believe my comments policy will facilitate the fulfillment of this goal.